Tuesday, November 29, 2005
at 12:39 AM
Once again we find ourselves enmeshed in the Holiday Season, that very special time of year when we join with our loved ones in sharing centuries-old traditions such as trying to find a parking space at the mall.
We traditionally do this in my family by driving around the parking lot until we see a shopper emerge from the mall, then we follow her, in very much the same spirit as the Three Wise Men, who 2,000 years ago followed a star, week after week, until it led them to a parking space.
Parking Lot Rules For Last Minute Christmas Shoppers
1. When waiting for a parking spot, stop in the middle of the road,
don't signal, and orient your car diagonally to prevent others
2. Always park on the lines, taking up as many spots as possible.
Diagonal parking is preferred.
3. In a crowded parking lot, if you find a spot and have the
opportunity to pull through to an adjacent one, drive up half
way and stop on the line, taking both.
4. As you pull into a spot, if you see that the space ahead of
you is empty and you see another driver signaling to take it,
pull through and take it from him.
5. Always park close enough to the adjacent car so that the other
driver must grease up with Vaseline to squeeze into his/her car.
6. When getting out of your car, hit the adjacent vehicle with your
door really hard.
7. When driving through the parking lot, ignore the painted lanes
and drive diagonally from one end to another at a high rate of
8. When stopped in front of a store and waiting for a friend/
relative to make a purchase, make sure that you are stopped in
the middle of the road. The same rules applies to picking-up
and discharging passengers.
9. When a vehicle from the opposite direction is signaling and
waiting for a parking space, position your car so that you are
in his way and let the car behind you take it.
I can't believe November is almost over. Wow, did that fly by. My friend Rick told me once that you know you are getting old when Christmas comes twice a year. It does seem like we just had Christmas...and where did the summer go? Whoosh and it was gone. And I never even saw fall. Things do fly by faster as I get older. For those of you who need to keep track, I added this Christmas countdown to the blog over on the right side near the bottom of the page. It may drive you crazy. If it causes too much stress, try to ignore it.
Have a great Tuesday!