And climb the stairs to the beach...

Thursday, August 15, 2013

SEASONS SCHMEASONS!

I figured it out this morning, mathematically, that as of tomorrow I lived 88.7% of my life in New England. Having lived there that long the changing of the seasons is something with which I am all too familiar. In Florida, we really don't have seasons, at least not way down south in Naples where I live. We have cold spells and heat waves, but it's pretty much consistently warm. However, this morning, upon waking up to temperatures in the 50s in mid-August, I remember now why I don't like the changing of the seasons.

I am sitting in the kitchen writing this while wearing a sweatshirt and with a New England Patriot's fleece around my legs. A steamy mug of French vanilla coffee is on the table next to my laptop. And I am getting more depressed by the minute. People get depressed in winter, but I always felt the worst of my self-diagnosed Seasonal Affect Disorder in late August through mid September. The onset of autumn is, for me, a terrible thing.

It's a little early for it to be so cold here on Cape Cod, I think. And I am really just reacting to the chillier than normal August morning and know we still have a little summer left to enjoy. But, it's coming. There are fewer flowers in the yard gardens and the green of the trees is starting to dull down some. The acorns are already bouncing off the roof of our trailer and making a mighty racket early each morning when the nasty little squirrels, piggy little thieves of sunflower seeds and thistle, are at work. They know it's coming.

The hydrangea blossoms, once so colorful are faded and drooping and drying on the branch. Some people like dried flowers and would say "how lovely! I think I'll cut them and bring them inside, make an arrangement." I say "they're dead".


The leaves will soon be turning everywhere around here. Some say, "I love the colors of Autumn. The reds and golds. I love to go look at the foliage!" I say "the stupid leaves are dying and they are almost all brown.Then we just have to rake them up and it's such a pain." (And by the way, I really hate it when people pronounce foliage as FOHL-ij  or worse FOYL-ee-ij. Click here to hear the correct pronunciation!

Truth be told, I really dislike the colors of autumn. Orange is my least favorite color of all and of course that's what we all think of when we think of the fall.
Imagine how awful it was for me having to endure 5 years of football seasons in Tennessee when I have such an adverse reaction to things orange! It was excruciating!

But I do remember the one thing I liked about the beginning of fall. I liked going school clothes shopping. I liked corduroy. I liked wearing knee socks. And I liked cute little sweaters. But I did not like them in orange!
That's Chuckie and Suzie first day of school 1957.

I think I might be over reacting to this chilly morning. The weather says it's going to be in the high 70s today and all next week. I guess summer isn't over yet. Another week or two to enjoy my favorite season in New England. Then, south I will head. Where it's warm and sunny and there are flowers blooming year round and sunsets over the gulf. I even like the orange ones.

Have a great day everyone!
Love,
Suz


.

2 comments:

  1. WEll, now you've depressed me! I don't like the coming of fall. Once it's here, I do like the colors and the cool temperatures, wearing jeans for the first time in months, etc. It's just the impending arrival that drives me crazy. I feel like this summer raced by.

    While these super cool mornings are unseasonable, I love the cooler weather for sleeping and when I know it will soon be in the 70s during the day, I'm fine with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suzanne. Autumn is the best! It's my absolute favorite and the one thing I miss most about being away from the cape. Maryland has some lovely falls, but there was nothing in Seattle that could compete with New England so I pined away. The cold of winter I could take or leave, but those crisp days where you're still comfortable outside in jeans and a sweatshirt? Those are the best.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Followers