And climb the stairs to the beach...

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Morning Folks 08 30 05



This was one of those perfect New England days in late summer where the spirit of autumn takes a first stealing flight, like a spy, through the ripening country-side, and, with feigned sympathy for those who droop with August heat, puts her cool cloak of bracing air about leaf and flower and human shoulders. ~Sarah Orne Jewett


Two more days of August and where did the summer go? I feel the change in the air, can't you? The still warm days followed by cool nights with windows open and one light blanket tells us that it is so.

In New England the seasons are pretty well defined. Although we certainly have some blurring around the edges, we can usually feel the change long before the calendar confirms it. Some places I have been and will be going confuse me some and I can't tell when one season begins and another ends. And I guess I will have to adapt to that change one day soon.



Knowing that this may be the last full revolution of the planet I spend here in New England, I vow to be grateful for whatever the day's weather brings. I wonder will I remember this promise when autumn's bare branches, black against November's chilling rains replace the green boughs of summer or when winter fills my driveway and dares me to escape?


It seems so far away from now, yet I know in just a blink of an eye we'll be picking apples and choosing pumpkins.








I'll not mourn the passing of summer
Nor curse the autumn's birth,
But thank God for each bright morning
I walk on God's green earth.

As each day becomes shorter and cooler
And night's portion continues to grow
I'll pull my cloak 'round my shoulders
And kick back and enjoy nature's show.

SLP 8/30/05



Have a great day today.
Love,
Suz

1 comment:

  1. Beck, I am glad to hear that your friend, her husband, and all of her critters were able to get out of harms way. I will hold them in my thoughts. A friend told me today that her cousin was living in LA and lost everything in the storm. From the news clips that I have seen many people have lost their homes, businesses and for some, family members.

    In CA we too are feeling the beginning of fall weather. Today it was 96 in SLO, which is high for our area, but there is still that feel of fall in the air. Our apples have been picked, with more to be had at a nearby farm and our pumpkins are ready to harvest. The students will be back in a couple of weeks and before we know it Thanksgiving will be here and we'll all be eating pumpkin pie.

    Enjoy these last beautiful days of summer. ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Followers