And climb the stairs to the beach...

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Don't Forget Tomorrow's Rabbits!

Most of my longtime readers and Facebook friends know I am a strong proponent of saying Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit before anything else on the first day of the month. It has been promised to bring good luck. I don't know if it's true, but I always try to say my rabbits and can't help having a feeling of dread when I forget them.

I have done whole blogs on this tradition so I won't do another. However, if you want to read almost everything you ever wanted to know about Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit, you can go back in my archives to August 1, 2005 where you will find a full explanation of this very old supersition.   Click here to read the 8/1/05 Rabbit Blog

I have learned a couple of things about the Rabbit tradition since posting that 8 years ago:
Did you know that FDR always said his rabbits? And, in some cultures, you had to say your rabbits up the chimney for it to work properly. I don't know why. Maybe it had something to do with Santa Claus. And in some British traditions, saying your rabbits on the first of the month meant that rather than good luck all month you'd get a present before the month ended. Well, since my birthday is in August, I guess I had better remember tomorrow's Rabbits!

I got to thinking about this and other superstitions involving animals and did a little research. Some of them we are all familiar with, of course, like black cats crossing our paths or stepping on a spider bringing rain. But there are some I haven't heard of before that you might find amusing.

Did you know that in 18th century England, if a white rabbit was seen in a village where someone was very ill, that person would likely die soon? And, if you said the word "rabbit" on board ship it was very bad luck.

Speaking of water, if you said the word "pig" while fishing, the fish would stop biting.


If a bee flies into the house, you will have a visitor. On the other hand, if a sparrow flies into your house, somebody will die.

It was once thought that if a child rode on a bear's back it would be cured of whooping cough.







The same cure could be had if the child breathes in a horse's breath.

On the other hand, if you see a white horse...  
...you must cross your fingers until you see a dog. (Huh?)


Years ago I heard that if you hear or see an owl during daylight it is a harbinger of death.

But I just learned that if you hear an owl hooting you should take off your clothes, turn them inside out and put them on again. Whooooo knew?

Did you know that any man who eats roasted owl will be obedient and a slave to his wife? Recipe swapping anyone?  Also, eating salted owl cures gout.  If a pregnant woman hears the screech of an owl, she will have a baby girl. And Greeks believed that if  you gave a child an owl's egg, it would never become an alcoholic.

And finally, in 16th century England, visitors always kissed the family cat for good luck. So, if you forget your rabbits tomorrow, you can always come by and give Maggie a kiss!
Have a great day and don't forget your Rabbits tomorrow!!!

Love,
Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers