Saturday, January 14, 2006
at 7:23 AM
This Blog is read by people in 10 different states, by my count. If I missed your state, let me know and I will do the research. But for now, here is a list of some of the strange laws on the books. For more, go to http://www.crazylaws.com/
• Cape Coral: It is against the city ordinance to hang your clothes outside on a clothesline; It it illegal to park a pick-up truck in your driveway or in front of your house on the street (This law is limited to only those who do not own the house)
• Under a 1959 ordinance, stubborn children were considered vagrants in Jupiter Inlet Colony, Fla.
• In Sarasota it is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.
• In Miami, it's illegal for men to be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
• Car wash attendants in San Francisco, California may not use old pairs of underwear to wash or dry vehicles.
• In Pacific Grove, CA Molesting butterflies can result in a $500 fine.
• The city of San Francisco holds a copyright on the name "San Francisco." It is illegal to manufacture any item with the name without first getting permission from the city. Since the Supreme Court upheld the copyright, San Francisco has had an annual $300 million surplus every year.
• Hartford: You aren't allowed to cross a street while walking on your hands
• Waterbury: It is illegal for any beautician to hum, whistle, or sing while working on a customer
• In Hartford, Connecticut, it is illegal to kiss your wife on Sunday.
• Devon: It is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.
• In Chicago it is also illegal to take a French poodle to the opera, and for women over 200 pounds (90 kilos) to ride horses in shorts.
• Des Plaines: Wheelbarrows with For-Sale signs may not be chained to trees.
• In Chicago, Illinois, it is illegal to fish in pajamas.
• In Joliet it's against the law to mispronounce the city's name. Offenders can be fined up to $500.
• In Lexington, Kentucky, it's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.
• A Kentucky statute says: "No female shall appear in a bathing suit on any highway within this state unless she is escorted by at least two officers or unless she be armed with a club." Later, an amendment proposed: "The provisions of this statute shall not apply to any female weighing less than sixty pounds nor exceeding 200 pounds; nor shall it apply to female horses."
• Owensboro: A woman may not buy a hat without her husband's permission.
• In Kentucky every citizen of is required to take a shower once a year.
• Hopkinton: Though horses and cows are allowed on the common, dogs are prohibited.
• In Boston, Massachusetts it is illegal to take a bath unless instructed to do so by a physician.
• In Massachusetts you must have a license to wear a goatee.
• It is illegal to reproach Jesus Christ or the holy ghost.
• It is illegal to put tomatoes in clam chowder.
• Marlboro: It is illegal to buy, sell or possess a squirt gun. Silly string is illegal in the city limits.
• North Andover: An ordinance prohibits the use of space guns.
• Cambridge: It is illegal to shake carpets in the street, or to throw orange peels on the sidewalk.
• Boston: It is illegal to play the fiddle. Two people may not kiss in front of a church. No more than two baths may be taken within the confines of the city. No one may cross the Boston Common without carrying a shotgun in case of bears.
• Charlotte: Women must have their bodies covered by at least 16 yards of cloth at all times.
• In Barber, North Carolina fights between cats and dogs are prohibited.
• In Nags Headm North Carolina you can be fined for singing out of tune for more than ninety seconds
• Hornytown: Massage parlors have been banned.
• In Raleigh, North Carolina, before a man asks for a woman's hand in marriage, he must be "inspected by all the barnyard animals on the young woman's family's property, to ensure a harmonious farm life."
• Eugene: It is illegal to show movies or attend a car race on Sundays. It is legal to conduct a horse race or a symphony concert.
• In Willowdale, Oregon, no man may curse while having sex with his wife.
• Marion: Ministers are forbidden from eating garlic or onions before delivering a sermon.
• Myrtle Creek: One may not box with a kangaroo.
• Spartanburg: Eating watermelons in the Magnolia Street cemetery is forbidden.
• Fountain Inn: Horses are to wear pants at all times.
• Charleston: It is against the law to drive a motorized vehicle on King Street.
• On Hilton Head Island, South Carolina it is illegal to shine a flashlight on a sea turtle
• When approaching a four way or blind intersection in a non-horse driven vehicle you must stop 100 ft from the intersection and discharge a firearm into the air to warn horse traffic.
And finally in
• Lexington: Noone may eat ice cream on the sidewalk.
• Memphis: Illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians.
• Oneida: An ordinance forbids anyone to sing the song "It Ain't Goin' To Rain No Mo'."
• Driving is not to be done while asleep.
• It is legal to gather and consume road kill
• Fayette County: You may not have more than five inoperable vehicles on a piece of property
• Dyersburg: It is illegal for a woman to call a man for a date.
• Lenoir City: When you pull up to a stop sign you must fire a gun out the window to warn horse carriages that you are coming.
Late Entry: Kathy reminded me that Alison is in the state of Washington. I didn't even know she read my Blog! I am flattered. These are for Alison and Brian.
• In Seattle, Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.
• In Spokane, Wash., it used to be illegal to interrupt a religious meeting by having a horse race.
• In the state of Washington, there is a law against having sex with a virgin under any circumstances.
• Bremerton: You may not shuck peanuts on the street.
• Everett: It is illegal to display a hypnotized or allegedly hypnotized person in a store window.
• A law to reduce crime states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town."
Have a great day!