And climb the stairs to the beach...

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Rabbits on the Move


Here is your rabbit reminder for July 1. It is a short one because I am taking just a quick break from all the chaos here right now. I can't really concentrate on the blog, but I didn't want to run the risk of so many of you not remembering your rabbits!
I am distracted because as many of  you know, I am in the process of packing up our home in Tennessee as we prepare to  move to Naples, FL.

Ed and I plan to be living in two different states for a few months since he hasn't yet retired and we aren't sure exactly when he will retire. He will be making his home with his son and our grandkids here in TN and I will be going to Florida to set up housekeeping. Just like the old days when Ed lived in TN and I lived in MA. We did that for 6 long  years. I think we can put up with it for a few months. We  had to strike while the fire was hot and the house sold, thank goodness, and we are on the move. But, I will be happy when Ed retires and he can take it easy.

And when we can be together again in the same state!


Although the movers are packing for us, I am hoping they'll just have to pack up the kitchen and maybe some of the stuff we have on shelves in the garage. I can leave clothes in the bureaus because they just shrink wrap the whole thing. It's very cool. But I have some personal things like jewelry, etc. that I want to pack for myself in the bedroom. As I write this, it's almost like I am making a to-do list, so please indulge me while I think out loud. Let's see...we have most of the guest rooms all done and there isn't much to do with the living room. I have to make sure my electronics are done right when we disconnect the TVs and computers, but that's the last thing we'll do when the movers arrive on Saturday. I have to have my computer until the last minute!

Today's plan is to finish getting the dining room hutches packed up and the bathroom vanities and bathroom closets finished, also.


Not THIS kind of hutch!

I have one and a half  bathroom done and one to go. I have half of the dining room packed. But the clock is ticking.

 
It is so strange because I usually think of myself as fairly organized. But, I am so unfocused for this move. I go from one room to the other, without really finishing the room before I leave it. So I have half boxes packed, in every room. I guess it's because I am almost 60 (Yikes!) and so often I just can't remember why I went into a room in the first place. But, also sometimes I don't trust myself to come back to any  particular thought when it comes into my mind, so I want to act on it as soon as I think of it. And so, I go tend to whatever it is right then when I think of it. Do you know what I mean?

For example, I started packing the guest room bathroom and that made me start thinking about the cleaning supplies I'd need to keep out and not pack. When I saw the toilet bowl cleaner in that first bathroom, instead of just making a mental note about it, I went off and checked for bowl cleaner in the other bathrooms and decided to clean all the toilets in the house, ending up in a different bathroom, packing up toiletries that I saw when I was in there cleaning the toilet.

I only packed up some of those toiletries before I went back to the bathroom I started on but saw that the shower curtain needed to be washed before I packed it. So, I went off and did some laundry.

It's all very complex neurological stuff, I think. Or, could we be witnessing the breakdown of a middle aged woman's brain? Put in the way that my 5 year old granddaughter replies to questions: 'Why, yes. Yes we could be witnessing the breakdown of a middle aged woman's brain.' But, I have a feeling it's just a temporary condition. At least I certainly hope so. 

Ed went to work yesterday for the first time since I had returned from the Cape on Saturday. Being alone in the house I can go at my own pace today, and hopefully just keep plowing through it all. While Ed was here at the house packing I kept finding myself taking naps. I think I was hoping I'd wake up and elves would come in to the house while I was sleeping and finish the job. That elf thing has been a recurring fantasy of mine ever since I was a little girl and had to clean my room. I think it was an idea I took from that fairy tale The Elves and the Shoemaker.

Ed has kind of been my hero in all of this, truly. A real Crusader Rabbit.

While Maggie and I were up on the Cape for the past few weeks, Ed managed to clean out the entire basement, boxing up almost all of it, cleared out one guest room, the den and a storage unit. He even found a home for our washer and dryer and his sailboat. He got us a PO Box and booked the movers. So, I guess in a way, Ed has fulfilled that lifelong fantasy of mine. How lucky I am to have my own personal Elf!


Well, back to work for me now. The movers will be here in less than 48 hours. Yikes! Just in case I don't remember, can I ask a few of you to remember to say MY rabbits for ME?

I'd be very grateful!

Happy Fourth of July everyone. Have a safe and fun holiday weekend!

Love,
Suz

1 comment:

  1. I have this very same condition and I am nowhere near 60. I never used to be like that. But I would do just about everything you said you did, with the same rationale you have!! Except I have never thought of having elves come and do the work.

    I used to want an elf to come sit on my French dictionary when I was in college so I could just tell him to find yet another word I didn't know while I was reading all of that French literature. He never came, though.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Followers