And climb the stairs to the beach...

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Morning Folks 04 10 08

I received some great responses from the poem I posted yesterday so I decided to post another one. Perhaps I should have waited to post this until Mother's Day, despite the title. You'll understand why I say that when you read it. My parents weren't at all like the ones Edgar writes about, but I do know some folks whose parents were exactly that way. And, could there be some folks out there who feel they might fit into these roles? I found it very amusing and my guess is there is some of both of these characters in us all. But, analysis aside, I just liked the poem when I read it, so here it is:


Father
by Edgar Guest

My father knows the proper way
The nation should be run;
He tells us children every day
Just what should now be done.
He knows the way to fix the trusts,
He has a simple plan;
But if the furnace needs repairs,
We have to hire a man.


My father, in a day or two
Could land big thieves in jail;
There's nothing that he cannot do,
He knows no word like "fail."
"Our confidence" he would restore,
Of that there is no doubt;
But if there is a chair to mend,
We have to send it out.




All public questions that arise,
He settles on the spot;
He waits not till the tumult dies,
But grabs it while it's hot.
In matters of finance he can
Tell Congress what to do;
But, O, he finds it hard to meet
His bills as they fall due.


It almost makes him sick to read
The things law-makers say;
Why, father's just the man they need,
He never goes astray.
All wars he'd very quickly end,
As fast as I can write it;
But when a neighbor starts a fuss,
'Tis mother has to fight it.


In conversation father can
Do many wondrous things;
He's built upon a wiser plan
Than presidents or kings.
He knows the ins and outs of each
And every deep transaction;
We look to him for theories,
But look to ma for action.









I hope you enjoyed this one. If you like Edgar Guest as I do, just Google him and you can find many of his works online.

Have a fantastic day!
Love,
Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers