And climb the stairs to the beach...

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Morning Folks 12 03 05 Snow is in the Forecast
























Dust of Snow
a poem by Robert Frost

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.






This is one of Frost's simpler poems, yet a picture it surely paints. Isn't it a nice one?

Yup, snow is in the forecast for us Sunday and again early next week. I do love the way snow looks on hemlock trees. The house we lived in on Massasoit Ave had a lush row of hemlocks between our yard and Chief McGovern's. He was our Police Chief when Sudbury was so small that he WAS the police force. Although retired by the time we moved next door to him, he was a dear man who bragged openly and often of the day in 1952 when he saved the life of a baby, burned in a fire, by rushing her to a hospital miles away in record time. Funny how life brings people full circle sometimes. But I digress...

These hemlocks were 30 or 40 feet tall. They were surreal after a snow fall, especially at night by the light of a full moon. There was a break in these hemlocks where a path was worn from visits back and forth between the Chief's house and ours. And in winter, when he was in Florida and his house was empty, that break would disappear under weighted, snowy branches. Frost's poem reminded me of those hemlocks...and of the Chief, now long dead. I wonder if that break is still there in those hemlocks.

There are some amazing sights here in winter. I think I will bring my camera with me these next few days and see if I can find some hemlocks.

Have a great Saturday, everyone.

Love,
Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers