And climb the stairs to the beach...

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Morning Folks 06 24 08



Well, I am not usually so impressed by a movie that I would write a review, but yesterday Ed and I saw one called Young at Heart. It is a documentary that I heard about on Sunday Morning CBS a few weeks ago. When I saw it was showing at the Bijou in downtown Chattanooga, I told Ed we HAD to go see it and away we went. I was not disappointed, in fact I was blown away. We were two of 8 people in the theater and it is a shame because I think everyone should see it.

I suggest that each of you run, don't walk, to the nearest theater where it is playing before it disappears. If you have to drive a ways, it's well worth the time and the gas. For you folks at home in MA, it is currently showing in West Newton and a theater in Arlington. If you just can't seem to find it anywhere near your home, I hope you buy the DVD when it comes out. This movie is for anyone who loves to sing, loves to listen to singers, loves people and loves life. We laughed out loud, cried and just thoroughly enjoyed the whole 2 hours. Can you tell I loved it?

Without giving too much away it is about a Northampton, MA chorus called Young At Heart that is made up of senior citizens. These elders, some of whom had never sung in public until they were over 80, sing rock and roll in a way you have never heard before. James Brown's I Feel Good is one of the songs they do and Dylan's Forever Young will just amaze you.

You see the chorus at rehearsal, get to know many of the members of the chorus and the director.



All the performances are terrific but one or two numbers will stay with you.
There is a performance at a local jail that you won't forget. And I have a crush on Fred Knittles. He's 83 and what a voice he has. You'll love him, too.

The chorus director, Bob Cilman, a youngster at age 53, has been their director since 1982. Of course there is a lot of turnover in the members and in this group that's a special challenge for director and chorus alike. I do wish the documentary told a little more of the director's story, but maybe that will come out in the feature film I heard they were making about the group.

Here is a link to the trailer for the documentary that will give you a little teaser.


www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3uOOhm8Fj8

Please go to see this movie. You will not regret it. I am going to buy their CD on- line because I just can't get enough of them. They are just finishing up a tour that included Boston and Northampton, New York City and CA. But, they have been to Europe more than once and I think they even traveled to Australia for a tour.

Go to their website www.youngatheartchorus.com/ to learn a little more about the group, if you like. But don't preview too many of their songs. It might spoil the surprises.



I hope you see it. And may you be Forever Young like these folks are.

Have a great day!
Love,
Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers