And climb the stairs to the beach...

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Morning Folks 01 23 07

Morning Folks!

Well, I am starting to feel more at home here in Ooltewah. The reason for this is that my "things" are now around me, like my pictures, my knickknacks, etc. And feeling more at home in my home, I have begun to appreciate some of the beauty surrounding our home.



Although we live in a fairly dense development, ours is at the uppermost point of a hilly area and our yard borders a stand of trees and a grassy expanse. Although Ooltewah means Owl's Nest in the Cherokee language, I haven't seen any owls, but there are always hawks perched in the trees or catching the thermals overhead.


And there are a couple of dead trees in the wooded area on which red-bellied woodpeckers have been working day in and day out.



And zip-a-dee-doo dah zip-a-dee-ay, each morning I look out my window and think "wonderful feeling, wonderful day".




That's because on most mornings I see two bluebirds as bright blue as one can imagine, perched on an oak tree, hopping from branch to branch.







For a Massachusetts girl this is a real treat. I know there are some in Mass but I hadn't ever seen one before. I was one from the age of 7 to 9, but I hadn't ever seen one!

Of course I had to read a little about them. Woodpeckers provide their nesting spots by pecking holes in the trees. The redbellied woodpecker population here must be providing them housing. Apparently their biggest enemy is the sparrow and the house wren. I think they steal their houses and they are far more aggressive than the happy little bluebird.



So that's a real southern treat. But we have lots of hawks out there as well. And one morning I saw a HUGE turkey vulture being chased by crows. It is really very interesting to sip my coffee and watch the show each morning. I never know what to expect.

And if you think that's exciting, I can't wait until spring comes around and trees and plants in the yard start blooming. Who knows what I have out there!

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
My, oh my what a wonderful day!
Plenty of sunshine heading my way
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

Mister Bluebird on my shoulder
It's the truth, it's actch'll
Ev'rything is satisfactch'll
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
Wonderful feeling, wonderful day!


Have a great day everyone. I hope Mr. Bluebird lands on your shoulder and unlike Rowan and Martin, I hope he never flies up your nose.




Love.
Suz!




PS. I guess if you are over 45 you probably don't know about the SOng of the South or the bluebird of happiness flying up your nose. Maybe a grown up can explain it to you! (And just a little disclaimer: I know the Song of the South is somewhat controversial now with it's racial messages, but I just remember the music and that I really hated Brer Rabbit for some reason. )

2 comments:

  1. when George got transferred to yarmouthport everyone said he'd hate it because it's so quiet. He used to say, 'please don't throw me in that briar patch'!, because he knew he'd like it. So, then everyone called it the briar patch and they all began to like it!! And that's my story!!!kath698

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you mean UNDER 45 to remember?
    nice blueys aren't you lucky.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Followers